This year the Income Tax department of India has initiated several notifications at different points of time, stating the importance of linking Aadhaar with the bank account. The notification also carried the warning that not following this order will make all Aadhaar less bank account invalid. The government department has also asked all banks to spread this information amongst their customers so that all accounts are linked with Aadhaar by the end of the year.
An Aadhaar card is an identity card that comprises of a unique number which is issued by UIDAI. This number is different for different people. The card comprises of the basic demographic and identity details of a person. However, it must be noted that the most important feature is that the card also contains biometric details (like fingerprint and iris scan) which is kept in UIDAI database. It is because of these features that the Aadhar card is becoming a mandatory KYC document in almost every important process at present.
Today about 99 percent of Indian population who are above the age of 18 years of age are enrolled for an Aadhaar card or already holds an Aadhaar card.
About Canara Bank
Canara bank is one of the oldest private banks in India. It was established in 1906, by a philanthropist named Ammembal Subba Rao Pai in Mangalore. Some of product and services provided by the bank are:
- life insurance
- Mutual Funds products
- Accounts and deposits.
- NRI banking.
The bank saw some major changes in service provisions when it decided to go paperless. It launched its first own digital banking branch named “CANDI” at Spencer Towers in MG Road, Bengaluru. It aims at providing end to end digital services to people.
Steps to link Aadhaar with Canara Bank Account
The Canara bank provides two methods by which you can connect your Aadhaar card with your bank account, that is, via online method and via offline method.
The steps that must be followed are provided below:
Link via offline method
In the offline method, you must carry the original as well as a photocopy of the bank’s passbook and Aadhaar card to your nearest bank branch. The following steps must be taken in the offline method:
- Visit the nearest bank branch.
- Collect the application form for Aadhaar and bank account seeding.
- Complete all the details in the form and submit it to the bank authorities.
- Submit the necessary KYC documents for verification.
- The bank will return the documents once the verification is completed.
- Once your application form is validated, your Aadhaar card will be linked to the bank account and a confirmation mail or SMS will be sent to your registered mobile number or email id.
Link via online method
In order to link Aadhaar with bank account via the online method, you will first have to register yourself on the official website of the bank. If you are already a registered user then the following steps must be taken to link Aadhaar with the bank account:
- Visit the official website of Canara bank of India.
- Log in using your user ID and password.
- Provide your 13 digit account number and customer id as provided in your passbook.
- After this, a one time password will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the appropriate box and then click on “submit”.
- Once the Aadhaar gets linked to the bank account a confirmation mail or SMS will be sent to your registered mobile number or email id.